This is a great way to use up any left-over veg from your Sunday Roast! Here I am using the braised red cabbage and left-over carrots to make sure these flatbreads are jam-packed with flavour and nutrients.
The braised red cabbage recipe can be found in my ‘Vegan Roast Recipe’ post.
I make my falafels in batch as they freeze really well and can be cooked from frozen so they’re the perfect healthy read-meal!
For the Falafels:
1 tin of chickpeas
1tsp Mustard seeds
1tsp cumin seeds
2tsp garam masala
1tsp ground coriander
1tsp chilli powder
2 chia seed eggs (1 egg is 1 tbsp chia to 2 tbsp water)
3 cloves of garlic
3tbsp Olive oil (or rapeseed oil)
Roughly ½ cup Coconut flour/Semolina (the coarse texture is key to a lovely crispy outside)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Fry off the onion and whole spices in some oil until golden brown and soft, then add in the rest of the spices and garlic for a couple more minutes and leave to cool.
- Drain the chickpeas and add everything into a food processor with around half the flour.
- Blitz it up and keep scraping down the sides and adding a little more flour until the whole thing binds together to form a slightly sticky dough
- Put coconut flour onto the surface of your worktop and flour your hands to stop the mixture from sticking and form small balls coating the outside lighly in the flour or semolina.
- Fry the falafels off in around 2tbsp of olive or rapeseed oil for around 5 minutes until the outside is golden and then place them either freeze or place them straight in the oven for around 15 minutes at 180.
- If you want to freeze them to use on another occasion just pop them in the oven from frozen for around 25-30 minutes at 180.
For the hummus:
1 can chickpeas
Juice of ½ lemon
2 cloves of garlic
Salt to taste
3tbsp olive oil
- Simply put all your ingredients into a food processor minus the olive oil and blitz together.
- When its starting to combine nicely drizzle in the olive oil until you get a lovely, smooth and glossy texture
From here you can simply serve this up with some flatbreads, and any salad fillings you desire!